Sunday, February 15, 2009
Escuela Secudaria Tecnica (Venado S.L.P)
Being able to connect with the students from Venado's secondary school meant a lot. I lived in Venado for 2 years and I went to first grade there. Many of my childhood memories come from this beautiful town. I was excited to go and share my experience with all of them. To make it to my conference I took the bus from Charcas to Venado. When the bus arrived to Venado I had a good mile walk before I got to the school.
Around 150 students show up to hear me speak. They seemed very interested. Just like in other schools the students wrote down some of their impressions and we took pictures after I was done speaking.
Its obvious that there is way more than just running and racing. I am grateful I can go and share my experiences with others.
"Your story seems incredible. Hard to believe you have made it this far. Hope all your dreams come true. Keep it up!" Coraima
"Thank you so much for taking the time to come to our school and share your story. I wish a lot more success" Abel
" Hi, Its so wonderful all you have experienced. I know a little bit about your family. I do not know, but I have a feeling you are super cool and down to earth. Here is my cell # and MSN.. Keep dreaming and succeeding" Janet Ariadne
" You are worth a 1,000,000,000,000"
"I swear, I love your life story, its amazing. I wish you the best in the world. Congrats for being where you are"
" Hi, I Diana Karen. Its going to seem weird but, Im already your number 1 fan. I love sports. Hope you keep in touch, here is my e-mail"
"You are a true, living example that dreams do come true" Itzel
"One day, I want to be like you" San Juana
PD: Miguel Hidalgo Secondary School next...
Sunday, February 1, 2009
My Coach Damon Martin and I celebrating my 4th place finish at the 2008 Marathon Olympic Trials in Boston.
1. What is the athletic background of your parents and family? None of them ever did sports. My father liked baseball and used to coach a team on our town. Probably, I was not even born when he coached.
2. When did you begin participating in your sport? 8th grade I played basketball for a 1/2 of a season.
1. What was your early experiences with sport like? I love every single aspect of it. I was hooked. Great experiences.
2. How instrumental were parents and coaches in the early part of your development as an athlete? I had only one coach in 8th grade that really motivated me... Parents were never involved.. Here in the US Coaches have been the biggest influence in my development as an athlete.
3. How were you introduced to your sport and how many other sports did you seriously participate in? My High School PE teacher encouraged me to join the track team back in 1997. There is only one other sport I have seriously participated. This was basketball in middle school.
4. Is your success a product of nature or nurture? Both.. I have always loved outdoors, but without the support and encouragement of my coaches I would not be nearly the athlete I am today. Ex: I did basketball when I was 13 and I did not do sports again until I was 18- Thanks to the encouragement of my PE teacher...
5. Are you an expert in your field? (by your own definition) No, I still have a lot to learn and improve.