Translate

Sunday, February 24, 2013

All New Comers Meet Part I




Two weeks ago, my nephew comes to my place after school to tell me that the new comers indoor meet was going to take place over the weekend. 

It's on a weekend and I'm not sure I will be in town for the event. An uncertainty that makes me sad. I want to stay and coach the little kids from tutoring program on that day. Do not take me wrong, I love my job at the college and love the college athletes too, but the all new comers is a once a year event and already a tradition for our In The Arena kids from Alamosa. Athletically, It's our way to kick of the year. After this meet kids have their jump rope for heart event, mile fun run, Hersey outdoor track and field meet, then In the summer since there is no school and homework, we focus on the Run With Us program.  

That night I went to bed praying to God for me to stay home over the weekend without me having to ask for the weekend off.  
Make story short as I'm about to ask the boss  for me to stay in town, all the sudden  right before I'm about to speak in a very genuine way  Coach Martin gave this I'm sorry look and said " I really think it would be best if you stay home this weekend to supervise the athletes staying home" " Oh my Lord" I think to myself and responded to him 
" Sure, I would Love to do That" 

  
That night I called and visited parents to encourage them to come and bring their kids. Saturday morning I did my regular routine to go to each house to make sure which kids needed a ride to the meet. As always my sisters Norma and Alicia were ready to help me transport kids to the indoor track. 

When we all arrive there, there is only another family of 5 and there are no signs of a meet. I make a few calls and get no answer. I only have an hour and a half before college practice starts. What to do? 
Well, parents and a couple of spectators became officials, starters, organizers, timers and even racers. 

This is what our non planned schedule of events turned out. 

60 meter dash - mothers
60 meter dash -5 heats 
1 lap Parents 
1 lap Girls 9 to 11
1 lap Boys 9 to 13
1 lap boys and girls under 9 5 heats 
1 lap Relays 
1 mile walk, jog or run (Everyone) 

It was fun to see parents and kids work and ran together. After the mile run all kids got a snack and we called it a day. 

I had three girls that  came with me to the meet so  after it was over, they had the opportunity to come and help me supervised the college practice. Jesi, Carolina, and little Jessica had a blast giving out water to the runners, visiting the pool, basketball gym and athletic training room.  By the time we were done with the tour to the athletic building, I looked at my watch and it's 2:00pm

As much as I want to spend all day with my ITA girls, we ran out of snacks and we all agreed it was time to go home, eat a solid meal,  and tell our parents what a fun morning we had.

Here little Jesi telling us on Monday at the tutoring program all about her experience... 

As for the all new comers meet, it did get cancel and it will happen in the upcoming weeks. Can't wait to write about the all comers meet part II.  Hoping it happens on a weekend I can get off :) 

No comments: