Translate

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Rock "n" Roll Arizona: A Turning Point

Last weekend was a turning point in my life. With an L.L Bean ITA tote bag packed of anticipation, plenty of snacks, 8 empty water bottles, and plenty of excitement there I was on my way to Phoenix, Arizona to find out which direction my athletic life was heading. As of Sunday, February 18th It had been exactly 3 years since I last raced in a marathon due to a strain, burned out, tired diaphragm muscle.  It has been a year since I decided to laced up my shoes again and start running more consistently for my body and mind and to continue to be the active role model children love.






The end result, I was on my way to test the 26.2 mile distance one more time. At this point in my life and my career after learning a few lessons on the importance of being healthy and being able to go out for a run pain free, I decided I was going to take the most conservative racing approach there could be. At this point, there was no time to compare and to try to become superwomen overnight.

The main goal was to complete the distance composed under control, and enjoy the 26.2 mile journey. Main goal was to go through half way at 1:23-1:24 maintain and even challenge myself to pick it  up. To my surprise, that was exactly how the race unveiled~ Half way point my watch read  1:23 With the exception of blisters developing in both feet, the even splits, the crowds, bands, cheering sections, the racing partner, the thousands of young volunteers helping along the course made for an enjoyable experience.





The blisters showed me that the competitive, stuborn, tough mentality  I do possess has not gone anywhere. It all was there ready to protect me at the most difficult times in the race, the time when physical pain starts playing games with your mind and you are tempted to slow down, stop and switch shoes with someone, or even think of the possibility of running barefoot.


Just like I expressed the day after on my Instagram account @zoilagomezita:  



Picture by: Jeffrey Lowman/The Republic

 "Breaking the tape with a win is always good, but it doesn't  compare to the will to prepare, the desire to test yourself. The eagerness to pursuit  mental  and spiritual health is what will lead you to that fine moment: #Happiness. I enjoyed rocking the #active #llbean outfit and symbolizing over #26.2 miles what @inthearena_team is all about! #WeAreInTheArena #HmowWeBean #RnRAZ"
Im so happy to be back in the athletic arena. After my 2:46 mark last week at the Rock "n" Roll Arizona I am confident, the 2016 Olympic trials qualifier of 2:43 is doable. Next
, I will be heading to Edinburg, Texas for a 10km to either wake, shake out  or shock out my body. Depending on how the body reacts I will sit down and figure out what the next attempt at the marathon will be. 
Waiting for the metro to transport water bottles to the expo!

Thank You! In the Arena Founder, ITA Board members and donators for allowing me to once again stride forward in the athletic field. Thank You for never giving up on me!
To all the kids and youth I have mentor or come across during my speaking engagements, thank you for letting me share this amazing journey with you. To L.L. Bean thank you for the most confortable racing outfit there is to be.  To Diana, long time ITA Mentee, Thank You for your 1 million note and to our ITA moms Thank You for keeping me  true to myself.
Long time ITA Mentee, Diana's Gonzales personal note worth
 1 millon bucks!
 Life has unexpected turns, mine is not the exception, two years ago It was uncertain wether  I was  going to be able to run another marathons again or not.  Last week, I ran one and won it. Today, I already went for a practice run with the conviction that the next marathon will be  another exciting turning point in my athletic life.

Curious Facts:

How much was my performance worth in dollars?
Price money (Earnings):$ 1.000
Expenses:
Flight: 350.00
Meals: 80.00
Transportation:
Gas  20.00
Metro 6.00
Hotels: 150.00
Investments
GPS Garmin with Heart Rate for training $240.00
Total: $846.00

Gains : $154.00




Our Champs from the kids race!

The point: Run for the love of the sport not for the money.


Be, Dream, Believe! 







No comments: