Translate

Saturday, November 10, 2007

INSPIRATION, SUPPORT AND LOVE

New York City
August 5th, 2007

It’s 4:30 a.m. in New York City when all of the sudden the alarm comes off. Madai Perez (Mexican marathon record holder) and I wake up and realize its time to get up and get ready for the New York Half. This is actually the first time I room with Madai. I can honestly say that we clicked since day 1. We had a blast. It was like we knew each other from long time ago. We laugh, we shared so many experiences, and we supported each other the best we could. In terms of racing, my race went very well; I ended up finishing 7th with a time of 1:13:49. Honestly, this was by far one of the best and most comfortable road races of my career.
To be part of one of the most prestigious road races in the world was quite an honor. Not a lot of runners get the opportunity to run and race in the same course with one of the greatest runners of all times, a living legend "Haile Gebrselassie". Meeting Haile was indeed and honor and an inspiration. I also had the opportunity to meet and interact with Madai’s coach, German Silva (two time New York marathon winner). German was very encouraging before, during, and after the race. I can not thank him enough for all his support. After the race, Madai, German and I headed to time square searching for some presents for their kids. Personally, New York Half gave me the opportunity not only to race against an international field and prepare for the World Championships, but to dine and meet very wonderful people and great athletes along the way. This is just one of many reasons why I love “TO RUN”.

No comments: