Translate

Sunday, December 2, 2012

INSPIRED BY PENGUINS


Elijah DelaCerda- Junior Olympics Regional Meet, Albuquerque New Mexico

There is an amazing group of kids from Alamosa that meet  with their Coach, Peter de La Cerda in the afternoons to train for the XC Club Nationals in Albuquerque on December 8th.  The Penguin club which runs mainly by donations and the help of parents is making a huge impact in the lives of many youngsters.

For the past month, I've been meeting with this talented and hard working group of kids ages 5 to 15. They have been my inspiration to get back into shape. With pain or no pain. I am inspired. Out of 34 members, 24 of them made it to Club Nationals and let me tell you they are strong.


At the Wild Life Refugee in Alamosa
with Oscar, Brayan, Ramon and Miguel


Thanksgiving was a blast! Me and a few of the penguins went for a nice run along the railroad tracks before we all celebrated the day with our families. Thank God that was a nice easy run. They are so fit and strong that they can literally kill me any given day.

 Last Tuesday I had the brilliant idea to show up for one f their hard workouts. That day we met at the legendary Cole Park, where Olympians like Deena Kastor and many  Adams State national champions once did the 1km repeats. Well, make story short, that day I survived a 2x 1km/ 3 minutes rest- 2x 600m in grass 2 min rest and 200m sprint. Even tough, i survived the workout, they killed me. This kids are fit and ready to go. I don't remember when I was the last time I was so sore after a hard workout.

I love showing to their  practice and going for an easy run with them. Their free spirit and genuine love for the sport is contagious.  How to forget the day when they had 1-2-3-2-1 minute surges on the dikes. There is no doubt in my mind these kids are already set for success and I'm not only talking about them performing well at Junior Olympics but in their lives in general. The lessons of hard work, commitment and discipline are lessons that they will carry on for the rest of their lives.

For the meantime, Thank You, Club Penguin for inspiring me and helping me get back into shape. You all are already winners and regardless on how you do at nationals you already are a part of something great.

To the  director and head Coach of the club, Peter De La Cerda, his wife Ronda and assistant Coach Erin,  thank you for allowing me to come and interact with the kids. Im so looking forward to come and cheer for them on the big day. The Penguins on the news

Easy Run at the Railroad Tracks in Alamosa
Oscar, Brayan, Ramon and Miguel
 
PD: The Club runs solely on donations. So if you are interested in making any donations for the Club please send me an email to: zoila@in-the-arena.org  and I will be more than happy to direct you with the Coaches.

No comments: